Helping Hands Grants Overview
Applications will be accepted throughout the year and are available based on remaining funding.
The Golden community is, and always has been, one that helps a neighbor. These Helping Hands Grants (previously known as our “Special Grants”) are intended to help with unexpected expenses that impact an organizations’ ability to meet their mission, manage an unbudgeted, unforeseen, and time-sensitive emergency or take advantage of an unanticipated opportunity that will enhance their work in our community of Golden. An organization that receives a Helping Hands Grant can only apply every other year.
Helping Hands Grants range from $500 to $30,000 per award.
Grant Application Process
Submit a Letter of Interest (LOI): We encourage applicants to submit a brief LOI that gives an overview of the organization and outlines the requested funds prior to applying to make sure that the project is a good fit. Please email the LOI to the Golden Civic Foundation’s Executive Director, Heather@GoldenCivicFoundation.org.
Application Due: If LOI is approved, applicant will need to submit an ONLINE APPLICATION that includes the following information:
- Legal name and address of the applicant organization
- Contact person and telephone number
- Project description for requested funding, including:
- Purpose and detailed description of the project or item. Include a statement of why it is an emergency need or opportunity unbudgeted, unforeseen, and/or time sensitive
- The total cost of the project or item
- Amount of requested funding
- Whether it is a challenge/matching grant
- Funding amount and source, if any, for the balance of funding
- Include statement of any other options or resources you can pursue to help fund this project
- Timetable for implementation of the project or purchase of the item
- Timing when decision is needed from the Golden Civic Foundation if the project has a critical timetable.
- Organizational Information including: Purpose of the organization, latest annual financial report, preferably a copy of a financial audit, current year’s budget and a copy of the original IRS determination letter indicating tax exempt status unless organization is a public entity
3. Application Review: Application reviewed by the Golden Civic Foundation’s Board of Directors. If approved, funding will be provided within 7-10 business days after the decision.
Download Printable Flyer
Please click below to download a printable PDF of the Helping Hands Grants flyer:
Once the organization has submitted and their Letter of Interest (LOI) has been approved to proceed, please fill out the following online application:
Grant Making Criteria
The Golden Civic Foundation will consider the following criteria:
- Grant would preserve or enhance the ability of the organization to meet its mission.
- Well-documented community need for organization and/or project.
- Time sensitivity of the project or program; grant would meet an immediate revenue need.
- Community support for the project and the organization.
- Financial information requested is complete and helpful to the committee in understanding your organization’s financial situation, budget, and need for this grant. We are specifically evaluating the financial sustainability of the project or program and financial stability of the organization.
- Project is not part of the annual workplan or budget or, in the case of structural emergencies, the problem could not have been averted with planned improvements over time.
- Extent to which the grant will help the the Golden Civic Foundation reach the residents of Golden.
- Availability of remaining funds.
What We Don’t Fund
- Deferred building maintenance
- Deferred technology upgrades
- Capital campaigns
- Religious initiatives
- Past due tax return and audit needs
- Work that has already been completed
- Budget deficits or funding shortfalls; this Grant is designed to help nonprofits with unbudgeted and unexpected expenses, not to fill in for unmet revenue projections.